For patients and their families, learning to live with these neurological conditions is a daunting challenge, but new treatments and compensatory strategies can help to optimize function and independence. At Kessler's Center for NeuroRehabilitation, individuals will find a team of specialists who can help overcome the many physical, cognitive and emotional issues that arise. With expertise and understanding, we help patients to manage their condition and maintain their quality of life.
Studies indicate that where an individual goes for treatment can make all the difference. As a specialized rehabilitation hospital, Kessler delivers a comprehensive program inpatient and outpatient services. Our goal-directed approach tailors treatment to help:
- optimize physical function and enhance the skills needed to perform daily activities
- maximize strength, balance and mobility
- improve speech and swallowing
- develop new cognitive and behavioral strategies to compensate for any deficits
Depending on the needs and goals of the individual at any given point in time, he or she may be admitted to Kessler for inpatient care or be treated on an outpatient basis.
Inpatient or outpatient, individuals will work with Kessler's experienced team of nuerorehabilitation professionals, that may include:
- Physicians who help to manage patients' changing medical needs in close communication with a patient's personal neurologist
- Rehabilitation nurses who deliver compassionate, evidence-based care to each patient
- Physical, occupational and speech therapists who involve patients in an intensive, evidence-based treatment program
- Psychologists and neuropsychologists who address cognitive, emotional or behavioral issues
Treatment & Services
Kessler, long recognized as a pioneer in medical rehabilitation, integrates the advanced treatment, proven therapies and leading-edge technologies to optimize each individual's strengths. Among the advances currently available to appropriate patients are:
- Videofluoroscopy and electrical stimulation to help diagnose and treat swallowing disorders
- Body-Weight Supported Treadmill Training (BWST) and/or SmartStep® to improve gait performance and mobility
- Constraint induced therapy, Bioness® and SaeboFlex® devices to strengthen motor function
- Robotic therapies to help build new neural pathways
- Computer orthoptics and Dynavision® to address visual impairments
- Advanced pharmacologic and therapeutic interventions to manage spasticity
- LSVT(Lee Silverman Voice Training) to treat voice and speech disorders
- IBOT mobility systems
- Virtual reality and gaming devices such as the Nintendo Wii®
Our neurorehabilitation specialists also continue to explore new avenues of treatment and engage in promising new research to benefit individuals with these neurological conditions.
As part of this dynamic neurorehabilitation program, Kessler provides a wide range of specialized services including vocational counseling, orthotics services, assistive technologies and advanced wheelchair, seating and mobility options.
Kessler's renowned Driver Rehabilitation Program helps appropriate individuals develop the necessary skills to operate a vehicle safely and confidently to help maintain independence.
In addition, support groups and educational programming gives patients and their families the opportunity to share information, discuss common concerns and learn from the experiences of others.
Studies show that patients treated at an acute rehabilitation hospital like Kessler have a higher level of functional independence and are more likely to be discharged home that those treated in other care settings. On average, Kessler patients have greater improvement during their stay and a higher level of functional independence upon discharge, based on national benchmarks that measure criteria such as locomotion, cognitive ability and activities of daily living.
For More Information
For more information about Kessler's NeuroRehabilitation program, including treatment and management of Multiple Sclerosis, ALS and Parkinson's Disease, contact or call Kessler's West Orange, Saddle Brook or Chester Campus.