Cognitive Rehabilitation Program
Recovering from a brain injury takes time and often requires highly specialized care for individuals to regain cognitive function. Kessler's renowned Cognitive Rehabilitation Program (CRP) is specifically designed to help post-acute brain injury clients rebuild cognitive skills, restore physical and emotional strength and maximize independence.
Led by a neuropsychologist, our team of rehabilitation specialists utilizes an evidence-based approach to treatment that is tailored to individual needs and goals. The program targets behavior management, social skills training, improving insight and awareness, and long-term psychosocial adjustment. This holistic approach serves to augment the natural healing process and promote the re-emergence of cognitive functioning.
This renowned outpatient program, available at Kessler's West Orange, Chester and Saddle Brook campuses, combines clinical expertise, advanced therapies and compassionate care to enable clients with brain injury to resume meaningful and productive lives.
Kessler's CRP includes both individual and group sessions to best support each client's needs and progress. Our group sessions allow individuals of various levels of severity to gain a greater understanding of the challenges of living with brain injury, develop peer support and provides opportunity to mentor others.
- CRP Individual Sessions
- Clients participate in individual treatment weekly
- Treatment focuses on fine-tuning specific skills to enable the client to return to work, to school or to community/volunteer activities
- Compensatory strategies are introduced and long-term psychosocial adjustment is emphasized
- Program includes occupational, speech and vocational therapies, as warranted
- Individual challenges, including such issues as community/work re-integration, driving and advocacy, are addressed
- Psychotherapy is available if indicated
- CRP Group Modules
- Clients participate in five hours per day, three to five days per week
- Groups address reasoning skills, generalization of learning, and executive functioning
- Specialized modules focus on goal setting, problem solving, strategy development, personal adjustment, communication, and education
In addition, because the involvement of family members is key to the rehabilitation process, Kessler provides regular communication through the clinical contact, holds monthly family meetings and organizes special events, such as "Family Day."
Kessler's approach to rehabilitation draws on the expertise and experience of specialists from many disciplines who work together to address each client's individual physical, emotional, behavioral and social challenges.
Team members include:
- Occupational Therapist
- Speech-Language Pathologist
- Certified Rehabilitation Vocational Counselor
- Cognitive Therapist
- Physical Therapist
- Nurse Case Manager
Kessler patients typically experience greater improvement and have a higher level of function upon discharge than similar patients across the country. We work closely with our patients to formulate realistic discharge goals and empower them to reach their individual goals. In 2007, for example, we helped more than 73% of our clients achieve their employment goals, 80% of our clients to accomplish their driving goals, and 50% of our clients to secure a volunteer position within the community.
For More Information
To learn more about Kessler's Cognitive Rehabilitation Program, contact or call Kessler's West Orange, Saddle Brook or Chester Campus.