Individuals who have undergone joint replacement, experienced a musculoskeletal injury, sustained bone trauma or have been diagnosed with a degenerative joint disease often have limited function and mobility, pain and other complications.
The orthopedic rehabilitation experts at Kessler's Center for Orthopedic & Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation help patients recover the skills and develop the strategies to resume their daily activities.
Studies show that where an individual goes for treatment can make all the difference in his or her recovery. Research also indicates that an early start to rehabilitation can optimize functional gains. Kessler, a specialized acute rehabilitation hospital, is able to provide that early start and deliver a comprehensive orthopedic rehabilitation program that includes medical, nursing and therapy care to best meet the needs of each patient. Our goal-directed approach to orthopedic and musculoskeletal rehabilitation tailors treatment to help patients:
- restore physical function and enhance the skills needed to perform daily activities
- build strength and endurance
- improve balance and regain mobility
- optimize independence
Our Rehabilitation Team
Led by a physiatrist, a board-certified physician who specialized in physical medicine and rehabilitation, Kessler's interdisciplinary team of orthopedic rehabilitation and musculoskeletal specialists includes:
- Physicians who manage patients' complex medical needs around the clock
- Rehabilitation nurses who deliver a compassionate, evidence-based care plan to each patient
- Physical and occupational therapists who involve patients in an intensive and comprehensive treatment program for a minimum of three hours daily
- Psychologists who address any cognitive, emotional or behavioral issues
- Case managers who carefully coordinate the individual's stay and discharge plans
Treatment, Technology & Research
Kessler, long recognized as a leader in medical rehabilitation, integrates the evidence-based treatment, leading-edge technologies and adaptive techniques to support individual recovery. To best meet the orthopedic rehabilitation needs of our patients, we offer:
- electrical stimulation
- treadmill training
- assistive equipment and technologies
- advanced pain management, including pharmacological intervention
- optional alternative protocols, such as acupuncture, as appropriate.
In addition, many of our doctors, nurses and therapists are engaged in promising new research studies that will continue to enhance the care and provide new avenues of treatment for individuals with orthopedic and musculoskeletal conditions.
Continuum of Care
To help individuals successfully transition to life at home, work and in the community, Kessler delivers an unparalleled continuum of inpatient through outpatient care. Patients participating in our comprehensive outpatient orthopedic rehabilitation programs will generally continue to reinforce the strengths and skills they have acquired during their stay.
Kessler provides a wide range of specialized orthopedic rehabilitation and musculoskeletal services, including a highly focused approach to spine rehabilitation as well as a hand therapy and orthotics services. Also, our renowned Driver Rehabilitation Program helps appropriate individuals to acquire the skills necessary to operate a vehicle safely and enjoy greater independence.
Studies show that patients treated in an acute rehabilitation hospital like Kessler typically achieve better outcomes than those in other care settings. On average, Kessler patients have greater improvement during their stay and a higher level of functional independence upon discharge based on national benchmarks that measure criteria such as locomotion and the ability activities of daily living.