At Kessler's outpatient centers, we are privileged to treat with clients with a wide range of rehabilitation needs. On any given day, our clinical team might treat a senior citizen who had knee replacement surgery, an adult who suffers from arthritis, an individual who was injured on the job and/or a college or high school athlete who is recovering from a sports-related mishap.
Whatever your injury or condition, our team of specialists is here to help you address your individual needs and goals – and make the rehabilitation experience as productive and successful as possible.
At our West Orange, Saddle Brook and Chester hospital campuses, we offer state-of-the-science physical therapy, occupational therapy or speech therapy, as well as psychology & neuropsychology services and specialized programs for driver rehabilitation, wheelchair services, balance and vestibular rehabilitation, and Kessler's renowned cognitive rehabilitation program – to name just a few.
Kessler physicians are also available to evaluate, diagnosis and treat all physical medicine and/or rehabilitation problems or concerns, including pain management, arthritis, osteoporosis, urological issues and other conditions.
Clients needing physical, occupational and/or speech therapy may also choose to go to one of our more than 75 Kessler Rehabilitation Centers conveniently located throughout the state.
A referral from a physician, which includes recommendations for treatment, is required for most outpatient services at our hospital campus centers.
There are a number of ways to schedule treatment:
- If you have already been examined by your physician and have a prescription for outpatient therapy, simply call to arrange an appointment.
- If you have not yet seen a doctor, you may choose to visit your own physician or make an appointment with a member of Kessler's medical staff. He or she will provide a comprehensive physical evaluation and advise you about the outpatient services that will best fit your rehabilitation goals.
- If you are currently an inpatient at one of our three hospitals, your Kessler physician can arrange outpatient services for you prior to your discharge to ensure the continuity of your care.
NOTE: Kessler participates with most Medicare, Medicaid and managed care plans, as well as worker's compensation, no-fault and other insurance providers. We will verify your insurance prior to scheduling your appointment. We also recommend that you and/or a family member or designated representative speak with your insurer or employer if you have any specific questions about your coverage.
New patients are asked to arrive 30 minutes prior to their first appointment to fill out the necessary paperwork. Our office administrator will help you complete the forms and collect any required co-payments. We also ask that you provide insurance cards to us to ensure the accurate claim(s) submissions. Clients being treated at our West Orange, Saddle Brook or Chester campuses may choose to download and complete the following forms in advance to facilitate the registration process.
New clients will meet with a member of Kessler's clinical team who will conduct a comprehensive evaluation, discuss specific needs and rehabilitation goals, and develop an individualized treatment plan. The length of treatment and frequency of visits are based on several factors including:
- Specific injury/condition
- The physician recommendations
- Surgeon or case manager's prescription
- Therapist's evaluation and recommended treatment plan
- Insurance coverage
Clients will work with physical, occupational and/or speech therapists and/or other specialists who provide instruction and supervise the care and treatment.
Your Therapy Schedule
- Making appointments. In order to achieve your rehabilitation goals and optimize recovery, clients are given a schedule of appointments for their therapy. It is important that each client attend all scheduled therapy sessions.
- Keeping appointments. Please arrive on time for your sessions. If you are running late, please call so that we may adjust our schedule accordingly. Every effort will be made to accommodate you at a later time.
Canceling appointments. We understand that under due to illness, inclement weather or other extenuating circumstances, you may need to cancel an appointment. If such an occasion arises, please make every effort to notify our office at least 24 hours in advance. If we are unable to take your call personally, please leave a message with your name, phone number and reason for cancellation. A member of our office staff will contact you to reschedule. Please note that it is necessary to reschedule any missed appointments.
We ask that you not schedule vacations while participating in your treatment program.
NOTE: Canceling appointments may prevent you from reaching your rehabilitation goals and will impact our ability to provide you with the on-going care and treatment you need. Therefore, a lack of consistent attendance may result in your discharge from the program.
- Changes in medical status. In the event of any change in your medical status, including for example, a fall, emergency room visit or hospitalization, you must report this to both your referring physician and your Kessler therapist. Note that your physician will need to provide written medical clearance for you to resume or continue your therapy.
- What to wear. We recommend that clients wear loose fitting, comfortable exercise clothes and rubber-soled shoes, preferably sneakers.
- What to bring. Be sure to bring your insurance cards; photo identification or driver's license; reading glasses, if you need them; a list of medications you are taking; and any home exercise program you may have.
- Medications. It is important that you notify your therapist about any prescription or non-prescription medications you take regularly, including dosage, frequency and the condition for which it is prescribed. We will want to review your drug regimen so everyone involved in your care understands your needs.
- Personal equipment. Individuals who have their own wheelchairs, walkers, canes, braces or other aids should bring them. Please be sure to label such items clearly with your name. Note that Kessler is not responsible for the maintenance and/or upkeep of these items, not for any loss of or injury from this equipment.
- Billing. Questions about billing for Kessler services should be directed to our Central Business Office toll-free at 866.889.9968.
- Policies and Procedures. For questions about any Kessler policies or procedures, please contact Patricia Judd, M.S., P.T., AVP, Outpatient Rehabilitation Services at 973.243.6947
- Medical Records. Copies of your medical records can be obtained by submitting a written request to the Medical Records Department at the facility where you are being treated. In accordance with state law, a fee may be incurred.